Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Trip to Michoacan-Dia de los Muertos

     So this weekend I went to Michocan to see the Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)  celebrations. Everyone that I talked to here told me that if I wanted to see the most traditional version of the holiday to go to Michocan. Let me just say that it is a beautiful state. First I want to mention that we went to Morelia, which is the capital, and it was like and old colonial town.  Our hotel was located here and I went to a club here on top of a mountain where you can see all of Morelia. The view is astonishing with all the lights and buildings of the city.  We also went to Patzcuaro which is a colonial style town with a lot of markets and an island in its lake. The island was called Janitzio I think. (The names get a little hard to remember).  In this island there was a market, food for the Day of the Dead, and a beautifully decorated cemetery. The cemetery are decorated with yellow flowers, candles, the food that the deceased person like, amongst many other things.  It is a really peaceful holiday that respects those that have passed on and welcomes their spirits back here. We also went to see some beautiful waterfalls here in Urupuan. Like the rest of the state, they were beautiful. I went with a group called Integrate Guadalajara so the whole trip was planned and organized before hand. If possible I would like to travel with this group again. So, I'll leave you all with pictures. A friend of mine also took a lot of pictures and if she passes them on to me I will share them with you all as well. Thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoy your weeks.

I have included a link with information about the Day of the Dead below if you all would like to read it.

http://honoringthedead.tribe.net/thread/b62c23cd-a650-4d8d-b833-52fc89c8b8be





























No comments:

Post a Comment